Perfect sunset in Adolpustown waiting to catch the Glenora Fairy into Picton. You see the fisherman and the boat in the background from the Royal Union Flag Heritage sign.
Originally designed in 1606, this flag was officially adopted in 1707 by England and Scotland as their royal standard at the time of the union of the thrones and parliaments of both countries. It consists of the blue background and white diagonal cross of St. Andrew, Patron Saint of Scotland, with superimposed the red cross of St. George, Patron Saint of England. The white piping is a heraldic device used to separate the blue and red portions. When the American Revolution began in 1775, many people remained loyal to the British crown. By the end of the war, most were compelled to leave the thirteen colonies. About 2000 of a much larger number settled the townships in and around this area. They and their descendants are known as United Empire Loyalists. This royal standard was their flag.
ERECTED 1998 BY KINGSTON AND DISTRICT BRANCH OF THE UNITED EMPIRE LOYALISTS’ ASSOCIATION OF CANADA WITH THE ASSISTANCE OF THE ONTARIO HERITAGE FOUNDATION.